At Clark Ortho, Invisalign is an orthodontic treatment that uses a series of clear, removable aligners to straighten teeth without brackets or wires. The therapy has proven effective at straightening teeth and correcting an array of orthodontic issues, including overbites, underbites, crossbites, open bites, spacing, and crowding. Patients love Invisalign because it is virtually invisible, allowing them to straighten their teeth comfortably without breaking their daily routines. It’s easy to clean and can be conveniently removed to eat, brush, and floss. Since there are no wires and brackets, patients with metal allergies can also enjoy the benefits of Invisalign.
How Does Invisalign Work?
First, you will consult your dentist to determine if Invisalign is right for you and to get a customized treatment plan developed for you. The dentist will then take x-rays, pictures, and teeth impressions to the lab to fabricate your aligners. Your custom-fit aligners will be delivered to the dentist’s office, and you will come in for your first set of aligners. In most cases, you will immediately begin wearing the first set of aligners. They are designed to fit very tightly to apply the appropriate pressure to move your teeth into their desired positions. You will be given additional sets according to your customized treatment plan. You will wear each set for about two weeks before changing to the next set in your series. Each set of aligners is worn for about 22 hours daily for two weeks. As you progress through treatment, you will see your dentist for checkups every six weeks to monitor your progress. Once all the required sets of aligners have been worn according to plan, you will be given retainers to keep your teeth from shifting back to their original positions. You will be scheduled for a checkup with your dentist every four to six months following your last aligner in the series to ensure your teeth maintain their new positions.
The Benefits of Invisalign
- The aligners are completely transparent, making them much more subtle than metal or ceramic brackets in your smile.
- You can remove the aligners to eat, drink, brush, and floss your teeth as usual. This makes maintaining your oral hygiene much more accessible.
- Since the aligners are removable, you can take them out for special occasions, such as weddings, job interviews, or school photos.
- There are no food restrictions to follow with Invisalign treatment. That means you can enjoy all of your favorite foods without any worry.
- Because the aligners are made of smooth plastic, they won’t irritate the soft tissues of your mouth the way sharp wires can.
As you can see, there are many benefits to choosing Invisalign over traditional braces. You’ll enjoy improved confidence and self-esteem when you’re no longer worried about the appearance of your orthodontic treatment. To get started on your custom-made set of clear aligners, contact Clark Ortho at 23 North Main Street, Lombard, IL 60148.